Thursday, September 10, 2009

Early In The Morning, My Song Shall Rise To Thee

Yesterday I woke up around 5:45 AM. I knew it was early because the room was dark. I lifted my head groggily to check the time but couldn't make out the clock: the green digits were blurry. So I squinted, trying to adjust my tired eyes, but the digits' contrast did not sharpen. Then I realized that my alarm clock was obscured by a drinking glass set before it on my dresser. I could not perceive the hour at which I woke because I was looking through a glass darkly.

--

Classes are going well. I was busting at the seams with intellectual fuel on Tuesday; having been away from the classroom so long I was ready to attack every question and concept with rapid, multifaceted argument and insight. Needless to say I had to restrain myself.

We have morning prayer four days a week, evening prayer three, and a eucharistic service on Wednesday mornings. These times have, so far, been rich with contemplation and touches of the Holy Spirit; I believe God is blessing me for heeding his call and submitting to the liturgical structure. I simply treat the Scripture, the hymns, the prayers, the recitations as opportunities for theological reflection, contemplation and otherwise turning my heart towards God.

Psalm 27:4 provides a concise philosophy of worship:

One thing I asked of Yahweh, that will I seek after:
to live in the house of Yahweh all the days of my life,
to behold the beauty of Yahweh, and
to inquire in his temple.

Regardless of feeling, service structure, music style, even quality of execution, one may choose "to [dwell]... to behold... to inquire." God honors such worship.

--

I had a physical yesterday; turns out I'm in good health.

No comments: